DESIGN, MATERIALS & CONSTRUCTION FOR A SUSTAINABLE FUTURE
Mud brick/ Adobe / Rammed Earth is a building material virtually “borrowed“ from the earth
This material has several advantages over conventional fired clay or concrete masonry.
The advantages / disadvantages include:
· Low in embodied energy (depending on cement content)
· Use of natural resources and minimal use of manufactured products
· Good sound absorption
· High thermal mass
· Ability to "breathe"
· Suited to a wide range of soils
· Easily manufactured and worked
· Flexibility in design/colour/surface finishes
· Insulation properties poor & similar to those of concrete or brickwork due to high density
· Heavy, recommended for people who are physically fit and have a strong back
· Long lifespan if protected from weather